Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Memories of Kwajalein




OK - This is NOT a Kwaj picture, but some people were wondering what I looked like without a beard. Last time I shaved was 20 years ago, but it was probably something like this....




When I used to do ice skating, I knew I looked like Mr. Potato Head, but I felt like Fred Astaire. Same thing with diving. I feel like a dolphin - and yes, I know, I look like a whale.




Last Mardi Gras there was a big party and I was elected "King of Kwajalein." No perks, but a really nice crown. I'm the one in the middle.




For a while I was doing a weekly radio show - well, I appeared one morning a week with the guy who does it every day. That's him (Rich Feagler) without the beard. He's been on Kwaj for going on ten years, and he's no more crazy than any other radio person.



A friend of mine has a wonderful tri-maran, and we went sailing before I left. At sunset, we were sitting on the deck, watching the world around us go pink and orange and then into black. The picture looks like a studio set - and trust me, the picture does not do justice to the reality of the sunset.




The chapel on Roi Namur used to be the video rental place. The window behind me looks out on the ocean, and at night, when I am nsaying Mass, I can often tell when people are looking at the sunset through the window rather than paying attention. That's ok - God is in the sunset too.

No comments: