Sunday, April 19, 2009

THE SORCERER - A review

I am currently appearing as a humble chorus member (OK, a chorus member - I don't really "do" humble) in the Blue Hill Troupe production of THE SORCERER. I don't usually go out of my way to promote shows in which I am movable scenery - but this is a really good production, and the chorus has an unusual role in a most unusual staging. we opened on the 17th, and below is a review that appeared from the Savoynet, a group of folks interested in (fanatic about?) Gilbert and Sullivan. Better to let another voice to the talking:

THE REVIEW
Last night I went to see the Blue Hill Troupe's Sorcerer production with several friends, including Wendy Falconer, Vikki Willoughby, and 2 non-Savoynetters whom I've done G&S with for too many years (Rick Churchill and Marianne Barcellona).

Despite my misgivings about a version set in 2009 New York, it was a marvelous production: the sets were stunning, the lighting magnificently creative and the performances top drawer. Gilbert's lines take on different shades of meaning when done with intentionally American cadences. I saw the Opening Cast (they double cast their shows). I was particularly impressed with David Pasteelnick's JW Wells: I got every single word, and he delivered much of it while moving about with a hat and cane.

The set was mostly white with some black trim, and decorated with various Gobos and projected patterns during different scenes. The Teapot Brindisi was particularly effective with every cast member having a translucent teacup with dry ice steaming away, along with little electronic sparklers that appeared to be inside the cups.

The chorus diction was superb, and Craig Burmeister's Alexis lovely. I really enjoyed Aline's 21st century sensibility, she really stood up to Alexis and walked off stage in disgust during the 2nd verse of "Thou has the power" after refusing to take the potion. (He sang the second verse to a scarf she dropped) I think it makes the characters more believable.

They perform twice more this weekend and 5 more times next week. If in the NYC area, this is definitely worth seeing.

-- Jim Cooper
Webmaster and Past President, Troupers Light Opera

For a link to see more about the show and order tickets online
http://www.bht.org/download/emailinvite.html

No comments: